Monday, February 9, 2009

Open Road


Another Monday passes... not nearly as bad as they have been going. I actually feel pretty good right about now. I was told today I've improved, but more importantly I affirmed what I had on the back burner all along--that praise and admiration have to come from within. You can't honestly expect to play beautifully if you hate the sound of yourself. It's not really our job to look for compliments, either, so he said... that our job is to not get told off for doing something wrong.
Another interesting point he made... cellists, psychologically, are the darkest, most introspective, emo people of the orchestra. We have a higher suicide rate than any other section, apparently.
Go figure.
So I'm not melodramatic because I'm a woman. It's because I'm a cellist. Well, I guess it compounds itself in my case...

No comments:

Post a Comment